Blasphemii

After braving a 3-hour drive through a snowstorm and settling back into the company condo in Cincinnati (where I am training for another month or so), I opened up my laptop and went online.
Why the hell not?
At least it looks cool...

After a checking prices across several retailers, and consulting with my brother Wrecklaimer (who turns 21 today!), I finally completed my order.

After four years, I’ve finally jumped on the bandwagon. After all those years of alternating between scorn and apathy for this product, I’ve decided to purchase it.

At 4:30 pm EST on Sunday, December 12, 2010, I bought a Nintendo Wii.

You could point out that the Wii has only a handful of really great games, abysmal online gaming, and no support for HD display. But I already know all of this. Obviously, I wouldn’t have bought the Wii unless there was some redeeming quality in it for me.

So precisely why did I buy it? Well…

1. It’s cheap.
I bought a Wii bundle on Amazon.com that includes a console, Wii remote and nunchuck, and two “Wii Sports” games. All for $177, with free shipping. Not bad for a console that retails for $200.

2. It’s fun
I realize that the Wii could never take the place of my Xbox 360. Why should it? I have plenty of outlets for all my “hardcore” gaming needs already. But I wanted something a little more… light, literally and metaphorically. I wanted something compact that I could take anywhere and not have to worry about online updates or finding an HD TV.

In fact, part of why I bought a Wii now is because of my extended stay at the company condo. It’s no fun sitting in front of my laptop at the kitchen table all the time. And I’m not comfortable with bringing my Xbox with me from my home. Too valuable, plus the Internet connection here in Cincinnati isn’t great.

3. It’s exercise (sort of)
I didn’t spring for the Wii Fit bundle. I can’t speak to the efficacy of Wii fitness regimens, but I always thought it was a stupid idea. While standing up and flinging a Wiimote probably doesn’t get the blood pumping as well as the Kinect, it’s better than sitting on the couch.

4. Because I can
I can afford the purchase of a Wii. I don’t make a lot of money, but I can budget for entertainment now and then. I have enough money to pay my bills and put food on the table. I don’t have much savings, but who does coming out of college? At least I don’t have student loans to pay off thanks to scholarships that I earned.
I got a good deal on it. I can make good use of it. And it’s something that I intend to enjoy for quite a while. It’ll keep me entertained and active on long cold nights in a strange city, 90 miles from the comforts of home.

Always practice safe gaming:
use a condom and wrist strap
Certainly, if I were stuck with just my DS and my Wii for gaming, I’d be left wanting. But what harm could a fun little distraction do? Well, I guess it could punch a hole in the TV. Better fasten that wrist strap, I guess.

If you have any recommendations for games or accessories, let me know. I’m looking at shooters mostly; they’re the only games that seem to do well on the Wii. The new “GoldenEye,” for one (yeah, I know I badmouthed it earlier), the “Metroid Prime” trilogy, and maybe “CoD: World at War.”

Soooo... you guys got Friend Codes? Or am I dead to you now?

0 comments

Post a Comment