I'm Shippin' Down to Cincy...

 ... to find my wooden leg. Wait, that's not right. Does anybody else hear accordions?

Starting next week, I will moving from Columbus, Ohio to Cincinnati (also known as "Cincy" or "CinciNasty"*) for an extended period of job training. Once again, it seems that my dear electronic gaming media and I will be parting ways, at least for a while.

I've been at my new job for about a month now, basically puttering around and doing what I can to help. I'm going to corporate HQ to learn the ways of the Force account manager/customer service representative. I guess I should explain what it is I do, and for whom.

"Phototype, this is Brian. How can I help you?"
If you really care, I work for Phototype, a brand management and prepress company that bridges the gap between "creatives" (graphic designers, etc.) and printers. It would be improper for me to mention the brands or companies we contract with, but suffice it to say we have a hand in a great many products' packaging, ones that you see every day and don't give a second thought to.

It's exciting that the branch I work for in Columbus is taking on new work. The whole company is experiencing crazy growth right now. And they need me on my A game to learn the trade down in Cincinnati.

Needless to say, console gaming will be taking a back seat for a few months. We're talking 6-8 weeks. Occasionally, I'll be able to drive back to my apartment on weekends and join in a game or two. Plus with the holidays rolling in on us, I'll be traveling out of town to see my folks and a buddy of mine in Indianapolis.

Like when I first moved, my availability for online gaming will be limited again for a little while. That's a shame, because I want to be right there with my friends when the Vietnam expansion for "Bad Company 2" comes out.

On the bright side, the lonely nights in the company condo in Cincinnati may provide the perfect opportunity to do some articles and features for the poor neglected blog. It's hard to interact in real time with friends on Xbox Live, especially when they're in a different time zone; their dinner is my bedtime. So it's easier for me to leave messages for them, as it were.


Speaking of which, there's some good insight into "Fallout: New Vegas" over at The Venturian. Apparently, what happens in New Vegas, stays in New Vegas. The bugs, however, come home with you. If you're reading this and aren't a mutual acquaintance of the artist formerly known as Tashdango, I'm amazed that you're here reading this.

We're not worthy.

2 comments:

  1. That's great about the training and that your company is growing right now my man. Very cool, especially given the rough economy. Really happy for you man... the bummer is of course your absence from gaming. Message Arc and I before you get back to your place and I'll setup a community game night for you.

    On another note you totally need to pump some life back into your blog the design and layout are really exceptional. I need to get with you and your Bro for some layout tips.

    Cheers my man

    Tash

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought to myself, "If Tash can suddenly start knocking blog entries out of the park, I'd better get my ass in gear, too!"

    I have am unfair advantage when it comes to the blog design. My brother knows how to tweak HTML code to get the layout just how we like it, and I have some graphic design skill.

    Anytime you want the brosef and I to work some magic for the Venturian, we'd be happy to help. Heck, just make Wrecklaimer an admin too and he can do get right in there and set things up the way you want. And I really enjoy designing logos 'n such. Just say the word.

    ReplyDelete